Sunday, December 9, 2007

Inagural Blog

REAL!

This is a word that means the world to me. When I was 6 years old we were watching Scarface in my kindergarten class in Albany, New York. When it finished I was like "Yo, that is over the top." My teacher looked me in the eye and said, "No, I am from the streets of Miami, and that is how it is down there. It is the reason I moved to upstate New York. The s&%$ is REAL!"

Two things happened in that moment. First, I learned what it meant to be real. Tony Montana became an immediate hero to me. He had a dream and he made it happen because he was authentic. It made me want to be that way fo' life. In addtition to Tony, my teacher also became an instant hero to me. I mean who says "s&%$" to a 6 year old. That is real. I am grateful and have so much respect for that.

As you can imagine, with that kind of experience at such a young age, my life mission has been to keep it real. Sometimes I fall short, but I am always working to get better. I would guess that I am now able to keep it real about 95% of the time. The average human is around 20%. The average human worries about co-workers, family and friends. Stupid. The average rapper is at 73%.

The purpose of this blog is to show the world how real the 801 is. There ain't no cupcake livin' around these parts. My homeboy Kyle and I will record stories of times we keep it real and times we notice other people in the 801 keeping it real. It happens all the time. Our goal is two fold. First, we want everyone to realize how real it is in the 801. Second, we want to encourage the whole world to start keepin' it real. If we can accomplish these two goals the world will be a better place and I will die a happy man.

RESPECT!